I've had 2 weekends when both my boys (old and young) have been away, so I have been able to sew all day long and I've managed to get a lot done. This was before I contracted a yucky bug that has kept me off work ( unheard of!) for 2 days.
Firstly, I finished all 42 blocks for Madlen's scrappy trip around the world. I did another scrappy trip earlier in the year and had also done some bee blocks. Consequently, I had a lot of spare strips. So what's a girl to do but make her first scrap vomit!
The 'A' blocks were no problem, as I just used up my spare strips and managed 8 blocks just from the scraps. I then strip pieced the other 5 blocks. I had to make the 'B' blocks from scratch but decided to strip -piece them using Katie's tutorial. This calls for 22inch strips to give the necessary 12 blocks,but I already had loads of 18 inch strips and as it's meant to use up scraps I used them. It meant I had to cobble together a few more strips to get all 12 blocks.
This is destined to be a quilt for Lydia, one of my BF's daughters.
I have also finished most of this months Bee blocks really early!. First up, Siblings together:
Then a block for Amy for the Simply solids bee. She asked for a 15" impro block.
I also made her 2 blocks for Wonkyville.
I also finished my blocks for Sam in the Star block quilting bee. This bee is now over , although 4 of the women have not sent me my blocks back even though my month as Queen Bee was March!
Mary chose the Economy I-spy block for Together@do.good stitches:
I had already decided to make a quilt using these blocks for a colleagues daughter, but I thought that 5 inch finished blocks were too small. Firstly, I worked out the necessary size of squares to make a 9 inch (finished size) block:
but decided these were too big, so did the maths again to make a 6 inch ( finished size ) block:
I'm happy with these, so just need to make another 75 blocks!
I promised some time ago to make a quilt for the 13 year old son of one of my oldest friends. Originally, I was going to make SewKindof wonderful's Abacus pattern but after trying it out, I decided it was too hard. Instead, I have chosen a pattern from Amy Ellis's book Modern Neutrals. This is a very graphic pattern and well out of my 'normal' range, but I think it will look fab.
It's paper pieced but fairly simple, so I should be able to work steadily at it.
I'm accumulating so many quilt tops that need finishing once the building work is all done. At the last count there were a whopping 7 tops all finished, 4 quilts which need more blocks (not including the 2 new ones I have started) and one Bee quilt where 50% of the blocks are such poor quality that I can't use them. I haven't decided what to do with those.
When the roof is back on, Mr Hare and I are going to have a long holiday. I'm really looking forward to it.