Friday 10 January 2014

2014 : A new beginning.

2014 is certainly going to be a momentous year for me. Firstly, I turn 60 in just over 5 weeks. I have also made the decision to retire from work and become a lady of leisure. After 35 years as a doctor,  25 of these as a consultant, I've just had enough. The NHS is creaking at the knees and moral is very low. I really miss the excitement of Intensive Care but the long hours over many years have  worn me out. Mr Hare is not impressed!  He's going to carry on working for a while, perhaps another year and then have a rethink. So, from 1st April I'll be footloose and fancy free. I can't wait!
We still have a lot of work to do on the house  which will be easier to organise if I'm not working. And think of all those quilt tops that I will now be able to finish.  Like this:


 
 
And this:
 
 
 



So, I'm going to join Katy's FAL and try to reduce the number of WIP's. I'm also going to attempt a fabric diet as I have enough fabric to start a shop and have forgotten what some of it looks like.

7 comments:

  1. I retired 30.11.13 after 40 years as a nurse .. so I know EXACTLY how you feel .. I am so happy never realised just how much it was taking out of me a bit at a time xx good luck and I am sure you will love being retired xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. try again !!! this is my second go ..............It was a disaster we got the sticky end for sure .I will do some blocks for you to get that quilt top done !!!!
    Hope this year started well for you and yours and that the house is coming along .Happy retirement to you i am sure you will love it .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great news! It's amazing to think that many of your colleagues will probably be going 'til they're 70 now! So pleased to hear that you're retiring soon, it will be a whole new lease of life until you finish all your quilts and the house then you'll get itchy feet ;) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful for you. As an ex ICU nurse I understand how you must feel. I now work in recovery in the private sector, I needed a change for my sanity!
    I hope the next few months don't go too slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your final few months go smoothly and you get your hexy quilt finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to be starting a new chapter in your life. You'll soon be busting through that WIP list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for making the big decision. I'm sure you'll end up being just as busy. I'm looking forward to seeing your quilty output xx

    ReplyDelete